Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Jesse Tree Prep

I believe that we will get out our Christmas decorations this weekend! I have already seen a few houses decorated and of course all the stores are decked out.  With all the lights, decorations, shopping, parties, programs and more that we will be bombarded with over the next 6-8 weeks (not to sound like a scrooge) I want my kids to remember the REAL reason we are celebrating! That is why a few years ago we started the Jesse tree.




For a few weeks leading up to Christmas we hang a new ornament on our designated tree.  Each ornaments retells the greatest story ever told.  A TRUE Christmas story! It starts in the beginning and ends with the birth of our Savior! 

This tradition can be a relatively simple one.  There are sooooo many resources out there and fun ideas! 
How we do it…

I have all my ornaments pre made and ready to go.  I wrap each ornament in a bag with the Bible verses we will read, also a fun snack or candy treat for my kids.  I label each bag with a number based on when we will open them.  Each night leading up to Christmas we take turns opening a gift, reading the verses and talking about the story and how we are waiting on our Savior to be born.  

Ornaments can be pre made, bought, or made each day by your kids.  Do what works for you and your family! 

This year I plan on having a Jesse Tree Journal for the girls.  Each night they will record or draw what we discussed or something new they learned.  I think this will be a great keepsake and so much fun to look back over in the coming years!

The Bibles we will use this year:
The Jesus Storybook Bible
The Gospel Story Bible
The Big Picture Story Bible
The Ryrie Study Bible

We will implement some of the things for the lessons I planned last year on the days that we have time. My main goal is to simply sit and read the Bible with my family and discuss this Holy season!! 

You can see all of my Jesse Tree lessons from last year HERE. Or look under my archives from last Nov/Dec.

Our Ornament List:
1. Earth: Creation
2. Apple: Adam and Eve
3. Rainbow: Noah
4. Stars: God's Promise to Abe
5. Bundle of Sticks: Isaac
6. Ladder: Jacob
7. Coat: Joseph
8. Burning Bush: Moses
9. Lamb/Passover Door: Passover
10. 10 Commandments: Moses gives God's Commandemtns
11. Wheat: Ruth
12. Red Rope: Rahab
13. Trumpet/Ram Horn: Joshua
14. Male Crown: Samuel
15. Shepherds Crook: David
16. Stone Altar: Elijah
17. Sun: Isaiah
18. Tears: Jeremiah
19. Lion: Daniel
20. Whale: Jonah
21. Female Crown: Esther
22. Watch Tower: Habakkuk
23. Heart: Ezra: God's people turn their heart back to God
24. Pen/Tablet: Zachariah/John
25. Angel: Mary
26. Manger: Jesus' Birth
27. Star: Wise Men



My prayer is that you and your family will choose to make Jesus the center of your season even when the world is bombarding our children telling them it is not. 







"But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus."  2 Timothy 3:14-15

"And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise."  Deuteronomy 6:6-7



No comments:

Post a Comment

I delight in your comments..please leave one for us!:)